Functional medicine is a new type of medicine that uses unique methods to diagnose and treat patients. Doctors use a combination of conventional and alternative medical methods to treat patients.
According to the Mayo Clinic, symptoms of dysfunction can include “pain, inflammation, poor sleep, mood swings, stress, digestive problems, and more.” Practitioners seek to identify and correct the underlying cause of these symptoms by addressing individual health factors.
This type of medicine is not just for people with chronic conditions – it can help manage many common health issues, such as pain relief from arthritis, improved blood sugar control in people with diabetes, and better prevention of heart disease.
Some of the benefits include:
-It is more accurate in diagnosing and treating conditions.
-It can help reduce the number of medications a patient needs.
-It can help improve overall health and well-being.
How to Choose a Functional Medicine Doctor?
While there are many different types of functional medicine doctors, here are some tips to help you choose the right one for you:
- Do your research. Ask around and find out which doctors have good reviews in your area. Check out social media platforms. There are several groups and forums dedicated to finding functional medicine doctors, so look for pages that match your interests and search for keywords related to your symptoms or condition.
- Make an appointment. Don’t just go with the first doctor that you meet. Go to several appointments and get a feel for whether this is the type of doctor who will work well with you as a patient.
- Find a doctor who is knowledgeable about this type of healing. This doesn’t mean that they have to be experts in all aspects of the approach, but they should at least be familiar with the basics so that you can feel comfortable discussing your health problems with them.
- Be realistic about what you can expect from your treatment. It isn’t always a quick fix – it might take some time for your symptoms to disappear completely. be patient and don’t expect miracles overnight!
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions! Not everything in life is black or white; there are many shades of grey, and it’s important to understand what your doctor can and cannot do for you. If you have any questions or doubts, don’t be afraid to ask – your doctor would be happy to answer them.
- Contact your hospital or health system’s administrator and ask if they know of any doctors who provide functional medicine services.
If you are currently looking for more information about functional medicine doctors, you can find it here. Or find clinical research organizations and then find the best doctor for your needs from there.
Types of Conditions Functional Medicine Doctors Treat
These doctors are trained in the use of natural therapies and supplements to help their patients heal from the inside out. Here are some of the conditions that functional medicine doctors commonly treat:
-Autoimmune diseases (such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and psoriasis)
-Skin conditions (such as psoriasis, eczema, and acne)
-Obesity and weight loss
-Depression and anxiety
What are the Risks of Functional Medicine?
There are a few potential risks associated with functional medicine, including:
The risk of not getting the right treatment for your condition. This type of healing may not be the best treatment for everyone, and if you don’t have the right diagnosis or don’t receive the right treatment, you may not improve.
The risk of overusing or relying on natural remedies and treatments. While natural remedies can be effective in some cases, they can also have side effects and can’t always cure a condition. Overuse of these treatments could lead to complications.
The risk of using unproven techniques and treatments. Functional medicine is based largely on anecdotal evidence and clinical trials have been limited in scope. As a result, many treatments considered in functional medicine are still considered experimental. This means there’s no guarantee that they’re actually effective.
What to ask your doctor about Functional Medicine
What are the main principles behind functional medicine?
What types of treatments do you typically use in your practice?
What evidence is there that these treatments work?
How long have you been practicing functional medicine?
Are there any risks associated with using these treatments?
One of the most important aspects of a functional medicine consultation is a full assessment of the individual. This can include a variety of tests to see how the person’s body is functioning on a cellular level. One test that may be done during a consultation is an assessment of the person’s gut health. This can be done through tests such as stool analysis and intestinal permeability testing. Another test that may be performed is blood sugar testing. This is often used to determine if there are any issues with insulin sensitivity or diabetes, which can then be addressed through lifestyle changes or medication if necessary. Other tests that may be performed during a functional medicine consultation include lipid testing, thyroid testing, and adrenal function testing.
How Much Does a Consultation Cost?
Because functional medicine takes a more individualized approach, it can be more expensive than traditional medical care. However, there are ways to offset some of the costs.
One way to save money on consultation is to ask about discounts available through clinics or hospitals. Many doctors who specialize in this type of healing also offer discounted rates for their patients. Additionally, many insurance companies offer coverage for these treatments. If you are unsure whether your insurance company does, speak with your doctor or healthcare provider.
Another way to save money is to ask about payment plans available through clinics or doctors. Many clinics offer payment plans that allow patients to pay for their visits over time. This can help patients avoid large upfront costs associated with functional medicine consultations.
If you’re looking for a doctor who can help you with your health problems in a holistic and integrative way, then a functional medicine doctor may be the right choice for you. These doctors are typically well-educated and have experience working with various conditions and medications that fall under the umbrella of functional medicine. While not all functional medicine doctors are available in every area, if you’re interested in finding the right one for you, be sure to follow the guidelines in this article.