Deciding to build the pool in the backyard is not as simple as many people think. It represents a big investment and requires proper planning. First of all, you will have to determine your budget and see if this investment can be cost-effective. It is not a rare case that people choose to install a pool as a way to increase the value of their home, but that is not always effective. You have to consider that there are additional expenses when you have a pool, which can deny some potential buyers.
Also, maybe it won’t affect the value so much at all, depending on the area, and prices of similar homes there. On the other side, if the main reason for this option is to have more fun, there is a great selection of pools in different dimensions and a lot of additional equipment that you can add for an even better experience. It is a great way to spend more time with your friends and family, while entertainment is secured.
Besides the design and additional features, you should learn more about the materials that you can choose, like fibre and concrete. It is important to learn the main differences between these two options, and what are the benefits and potential downsides. Let us look at the benefits each of these pools can offer in your garden.
We can notice a great increase in popularity when it comes to fiberglass, especially in Australia where outdoor pools are quite common. There are many advantages to choosing this option. Here are some of the best.
- This is an affordable option when you compare it with a concrete pool as it will cost 20% less for you to get it installed in your backyard. When we also compare the ongoing costs, these are also much lower as it uses fewer chemicals, it is low maintenance, and uses less energy consumption.
- It offers the ability to install it in less than a month, which is a much better option when we compare it to concrete, which requires over three months for installation.
- Another reason is related to ecology. A lot of people are interested in choosing eco-friendlier options today. Therefore, the material is the perfect solution since it requires less harmful materials, decreased waste of energy, and more.
- When it comes to technical features, we have to mention the resistance and durability, which is especially important for areas like Australia, with increased risks of earthquakes.
The main advantage of concrete is much bigger flexibility in terms of design and size which makes it a perfect option if you are interested in building a large pool.
- The very first and most attractive benefit of a concrete pool is the flexibility it comes with. You can design your dream pool in whichever shape and size you would like. When you compare this with fibreglass pools, you are a little limited on the design and shape as these are readily made at the warehouse and transported to your location, as stated by Flōridian.
- Most homeowners go for the traditional pool due to the durability it can offer you, fibreglass has also proved to be durable over the years, but we have to agree, concrete has been around for several years.
- You can play around with custom additions to your pool. You can play with the idea of swim-outs, alcoves, or even ledges into your pool design.
- If your dream pool design comes with waterline tiles, then a concrete pool is a way to go. Fibreglass pools have some limitations. Basically, you have an endless list of possibilities you can do to your pool with a concrete pool.
As we already mentioned, the main advantage of concrete is that you can make it appear more unique. Still, there is a way to add some features to fibreglass option as well. Manufacturers became aware of the fact that more people are now interested in fibre as a material because of its advantages. Therefore, you can find a great selection of sizes and designs. On the other side, if you have some unique idea about the appearance of your pool, the best option is still concrete. In that matter, you can add various sections, such as waterfalls, Jacuzzi, different depths, and more.
It depends on the manufacturer and the people who you hire to build your pool. Both choices can serve you for decades if installed properly. There is a great debate related to which one of these options has better resistance and durability. For example, concrete with a strong base can be a much better solution, but modern fibreglass models are quite durable as well. In that matter, the best way is to choose according to your preferences and some other features.
When it comes to price, concrete is more affordable when it comes to standard size and design. In some cases, you will have to spend more than double the price on fiberglass. For example, the fiber model that costs around $50,000 can be installed with less than $30,000 if you choose concrete instead. Also, the main downside of it is related to design and size. There are low chances that you will find a model that is wider than 16 feet because it is transported in one piece. On the other side, you can be more patient and get a much bigger pool made of concrete, but you might need to wait up to six months until it is constructed, depending on its size.
If you already determined your budget, and you are ready to pay more to have a pool in a shorter time then the fibre is the best option. However, if you are interested in a bigger model, and waiting time is not an issue, you should opt for another option. Both of them can provide you with many advantages, but only if you pay attention to the main factors like hiring the right company, and choosing the best additional equipment and features. Investing in a pool is a great move for your home; not only will it bring beautiful family memories to your backyard but also drastically improve the value of your home.