Stay tuned to this page as we bring you rolling updates on the cancellation/renewal status of the FX crime anthology.
Fargo is designed as a ‘limited series’ in the anthology mold. Season 2 would focus on a new story and characters, ala American Horror Story, though creator Noah Hawley has since revealed that subsequent seasons will tie together to form a ‘bigger story’.
As it stands,
FX has yet to cancel or renew Fargo for Season 2, though the show is a decent ratings performer and critically acclaimed. Renewal appears to hinge on identifying and mapping out a suitable story for Season 2. Watch this space…
FARGO CANCEL/RENEW UPDATES
- July 21 – Official! Fargo renewed for Season 2 by FX.
- July 10 – Fargo Season 2: Ten-episode renewal expected in “coming weeks”
- July 9 – Fargo Season 2 renewal announcement “imminent”:
#Fargo Renewed For Season 2: Formal Pickup ‘Imminent’ http://t.co/BG8OnzZcrY #RenewFargo
— Seriable (@Seriable) July 9, 2014
- June 18 – Hawley further hints that Fargo’s anthology seasons will connect to form a “big picture”.
- June 18 – Hawley says he’s “happy to take that ride” in reference to Season 2, but is mindful of taking his time to map out the next potential story in the series.
- June 4 – Season 2 could have “some connection” to first season/movie. Hawley/FX taking their time to plan and consider second season:
#Fargo Season 2 Could Have ‘Unexpected Connection’ To First Season http://t.co/Em0lkV7kXo #RenewFargo
— Seriable (@Seriable) June 4, 2014
- May – Allison Tolman says Fargo Season 2 talks are ongoing and that she’s waiting to hear whether she’ll b invited back.
- May – Hawley talks Fargo Season 2, notes that it might not be set in contemporary times.
- April 25 – Following his 2-year deal, creator/showrunner Noah Hawley will discuss a potential Season 2 with FX in May:
#Fargo Season 2 Edges Closer At FX With Showrunner Deal, Season 3 Also Eyed http://t.co/TZLLBlfslD #RenewFargo
— Seriable (@Seriable) April 26, 2014
- Fargo premiered to “very strong” numbers on April 15, giving the show an early boost for those Season 2 hopes.
- April 9, 2014: FX CEO John Landgraf confirms that, should Fargo prove successful, there are plans to bring the show back for Season 2, which would feature a new story and characters (per its serial anthology format) set within Fargo N.D.
Fargo Season 1 Ratings
TV Ratings are ©2014 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.