The legalization of weed in many states of the USA has made it a mainstream topic in the press. State governments are raking in the taxes from licensed growers and retailers, and the marijuana industry is one of the fastest growing in the country. Weed has also been decriminalized in certain states and many celebrities have viced their support for the legalization of the substance.
This article looks at where you can legally use weed for recreational purposes in the USA, and we’ll also be talking about some of the famous faces who are your fellow weed enthusiasts! Let’s get started.
Where is Weed Legal?
There are many online stores that specialize in vaping devices for weed, CBD and oils, and businesses such as Vape4ever have played a big part in the boom in the vape and weed markets.
The amount of cannabis you can have on your person varies between states, and there are other provisos about the substance that also apply. In some states it is permissible to grow your own plants up to a certain number. We strongly advise you check out your state laws to stay on the safe side, as in some areas it can only be used for medicinal purposes. For information, the following states in which marijuana remains completely illegal:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Now that you know where you don’t want to live if you enjoy your weed let’s get into the meat of this article and talk about some of the celebrities who are open and honest about their use of cannabis.
Musicians Who Use Weed
Here have been musicians who smoke weed since people started smoking weed! As a relaxant weed is invaluable, and the number of musicians and other artists who admit to using cannabis in the creative purpose is considerable. Some may surprise you, so let’s check out a few:
- Lady Gaga is a notable weed enthusiast but has cut down considerably from a habit that once amounted to 15 joints a day! She openly admits to needing to be ‘high to be creative.’
- Jay Z has been a strong campaigner for the legalization of weed. One of the world’s biggest music stars, it gets a mention in a few of his songs. He is not a heavy user, however, but enjoys it now and then.
- Snoop Dog is one of a number of artists who are so into weed they have their own brand. He’s been an advocate all his life and weed gets into his songs quite often.
Ghostface of the Wu-Tang Clan is another with his own brand – Wu Goo, a THC oil – and a keen weed enthusiast.
- Former child megastar Miley Cyrus is not shy of admitting her love of weed, and probably got it from her dad, Billy-Ray Cyrus, a massive-selling country star (and the links between country music and weed are simply unbreakable!)
We could mention many more, but we need to talk about movie stars and other famous people who are weed enthusiasts.
Movie Stars Who Vape Weed
There are many movie stars who smoke weed who have either campaigned for legalization or talked about their usage. Some of the following would not immediately come to mind as cannabis enthusiasts!
- Kirsten Dunst has often admitted to being a lover of marijuana. The superstar actress says she has a ‘different outlook on marijuana than America; and she’s right in many places.
- A famous weed lover is one of the biggest actors on the planet, none other than Brad Pitt. One famous incident saw him enjoying weed with Quentin Tarantino and other luminaries.
- The late Robert Mitchum was among the first movie stars to be busted for cannabis possession in 1948!
- Who would have thought that Cameron Diaz bought her weed from Snoop Dog! They went to school together, so presumably she’s been enjoying weed since her younger days.
Now let’s move on and look at some of the more unlikely famous people who enjoy or enjoyed their marijuana.
Other Famous People Who Enjoy Weed
While weed is mainly associated with music, film and TV stars, there are also some notable advocates in other fields from present and past. Let’s talk about these.
- Abraham Lincoln is often quoted as enjoying ‘sitting on my front porch enjoying a pipe of sweet hemp.’ He’s not alone in the pantheon of US presidents in enjoying his weed.
- Bill Gates was outed as a weed enthusiast in an authorized biography. The Microsoft founder joins Apple counterpart in this group, the latter being a great fan of weed.
- Hunter S. Thompson was a famous psychedelics fan and also enjoyed his weed. This is celebrated in a strain of cannabis named after him.
- Author, cosmologist, and all-round genius Carl Sagan is also one who enjoyed his weed. It’s no surprise then that ‘Cosmos’ is such a great watch when stoned.
It’s no surprise that there is a strong correlation between weed and creativity. It’s been that way for decades, and when we consider famous bands such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were famed for using weed the music industry is the prime suspect for celebrity marijuana fans. That’s why it’s interesting to read about the movie stars who use weed for creativity, and even more so the politicians and leading lights in business and science.
We would not, for example, associate Abraham Lincoln as one who enjoyed his weed. Yet in his day smoking hemp – a form of cannabis – was commonplace and perfectly legal and acceptable. That so few states in the USA still consider the substance fully illegal is a positive and massive change from just a decade ago. The tide is turning for cannabis and its recreational use in the USA – and elsewhere in the world – so check the legal status where you are and if you can, enjoy quality weed.