What will be the appearance of our home depends on the first impression that will be formed about our home, about ourselves. But if with the style of rooms all more or less understandable, and even a person who does not understand anything in design, finds a lot of materials and ready-made ideas for the arrangement of the interior, then what to do with the facade of the house?
In general, the painting of the house is a very fascinating process. But choosing the right paints, products and painters can be a time-consuming and difficult task. It’s best to trust a professional company that is committed to making home painting a safe and enjoyable experience https://hawaiitrustedrealty.com/builder/painter.
What color should I choose for my exterior finish?
Criteria for choosing the color of the facade:
First, let’s talk about aesthetics. The rules come down to the material’s hiding power and durability. Dark paints have less consumption, due to which the cost of work is reduced. In addition, they attract heat, so it is better to use them in a cloudy, cold room.
If it is important that the wall burns out more slowly, choose light-colored paint. Dust is less noticeable on the painted surface, and it will keep its saturation longer. Red and all its shades fade the fastest. The maximum period of brightness retention is 5-7 years. Next, let’s talk about successful combinations for different rooms.
The first step in choosing a palette is to use various online services. Download special applications or search websites. You can use the official Pantone services. It is also important to consider several factors, which we will talk about in a moment.
The type of facade of the house most often sets the style of its interior, let’s say the interior in Victorian style implies the same design of the exterior. Another thing is when the house or townhouse is located in a cottage community, in this case, the style of exterior sets the developer, and the owners of the house have nothing else but to stick to it.
As for the choice of color, designers have a concept of “female”, “male” or “neutral” interior, the same applies to the exterior. So, a young married couple is likely to try to choose something light, light. Very often the choice is influenced by memories associated with joint recreation: stop at blue, white, sandy colors. Women prefer red and pink, velvety surfaces, elegant decorative elements. Men traditionally choose browns and dark tones, the brutal look of the house front. A designer I know recently built himself a log home: all wood light, with black window frames, black flooring inside, red and black furniture pieces. If there is a choice, the color of the house is sure to reflect the character, preferences, and even gender of the people who live in it.
Location of the facility
- In hot regions, black tones and dark palettes are not usually used. In the north, in the mountains look good brown, gray, bright walls. Proximity to the ocean is played up with pink, blue, turquoise, beige shades. As for practicality, light colors are less likely to burn out. White is the slowest to fade. However, you should remember that white may acquire a yellowish color over time. Thus, the most practical in this case can be a gray color. It will not yellow over time, and it is almost invisible to dust.
- But if you still decide to choose a dark shade, you should remember that they fade quickly. The leader in fading is black. If there is a need to use dark colors on the facade of the house, you should pay attention to the warranty card to the paint, which indicates the limitations on the period of fading. Usually, it’s 5-7 years for dark colors
- Village and country houses offer more room for creativity. Cottages, located within the city, are usually painted in something neutral, corresponding to the neighboring buildings.
- The structure of a simple form without elegant details adorns a bright facade. It will help draw attention away from the shortcomings of construction.
- On the contrary, if the building has bas-reliefs or other decorative details, a neutral background will be appropriate.
- The building should stand out on your property. Green cladding is lost against the background of tall shrubs and trees.
- Interior. Some styles (e.g., Victorian, classical, high-tech, modern) are logical to apply and outside, in order to maintain a coherent picture.
- It happens that in the design of the rooms there is no particular style, but there is panoramic glazing. In this case, you can also start with the interior design of the walls and floor.
- The bathhouse, outbuildings, gates, and everything on the site play a role in the choice of paint. The task is to create a unified project.
The color of the roof
Usually, this part of the house is different from the facade. It is desirable that they correspond to each other. For example, in what color to paint the house if the roof is brown? In this case, it is recommended to use white, beige, shades of brown, blue. Gray tiles or slate can be combined with orange, blue, dark gray, maroon, white, green, blue walls. Red roofing – with gray, brown, black, yellow. Black – with lighter colors.
There is another rule: the lighter the building – the more inconspicuous should be the roof. And vice versa.
Other elements of the building sometimes stand out against the general background. For example, casings, gutters, eaves, doors. Another option is to combine several variants of the same color. In this case, use the combination rule: a dark plinth, a slightly lighter roof and a paint of medium saturation for the walls.
Wooden private cottages and villas are usually covered with antiseptic translucent or coated impregnation. The first retains the pattern of the beam or logs, the second – only its relief. If the facade is made of stone, brick, or unpainted wood, you need to highlight the decorative elements, roof, and pediment.
To find a harmonious combination, look for it in the texture of these materials. Inclusions on stone or knots on the wood are the best sources of inspiration in this case. Brick goes well with brown, white, red, green, and their derivative shades.
These are general points that are recommended to consider when choosing an exterior design. Once you find your color, paint a large piece of paper or drywall in it and apply it to the building. Stand in the far distance and assess what it looks like. It’s even better to do it directly on the wall since paint behaves differently on different coatings. During the day, you’ll be able to see how the design will look in different lighting.
How to paint a plastered facade
When choosing paint for brick and concrete plastered facades, the same principles of color selection apply. But in addition, it should be remembered that our walls need paint not only for beauty. Yes, of course, the facade, and a whole street where the walls of houses are painted in bright colors, pleases the eye, but it’s not just about the color. The paint must protect the surface of the facade from degradation: the sun, frost, strong wind and polluted air can damage even the toughest materials.
How to paint a wooden house
Of course, you can paint a wooden house “over” coating paints, such as enamels for wood. But more often in wooden construction are used translucent paints – glazes.
“For wooden houses, it is better to use materials that emphasize the structure of wood. After all, in the end, this is why we choose a house made of wood: for its color and texture.
The choice of color will depend on the chosen color and texture of the roof, the intended roof finish, the color of the drainage system, the option to finish the basement, the color of laminated windows, log/beam exits (kinks in the corners and wall connections), as well as the design of already built structures on the site, such as baths. In our practice, we offer customers a choice of 3-4 standard options for painting a wooden house.
The house is better to use 2-3 colors: first for the facade, second for the casing, skirtings, roof, and posts, the third color for the plinth and balusters.
It should also be understood that wood requires special protection: in operation, it is able to both absorb moisture from the rains and other precipitations and give it away under the influence of sunlight.