Buffy Season 3 – Core Mythology Episodes
Seriable recommends experiencing the entire third season of Buffy. However, for those of you who want to dive in at the deep end, we believe the following episodes to be the most crucial to understanding the BtVS Season Three character/story arcs:
- Episode 3 – “Hope, Faith and Trick” The episode introduces Faith, the new slayer, who plays a major role in Buffy’s storyline for the rest of the season. And Angel returns.
- Episode 5 – “Homecoming” The often-mentioned Mayor is finally introduced. Willow and Xander make a dangerous move that could jeopardize their relationships.
- Episode 7 – “Revelations” The gang discovers Angel’s presence, Willow and Xander make a dangerous choice and the disconnection between Buffy and Faith begins.
- Episode 8 – “Lover’s Walk” Spike returns to cause havoc on the gang’s relationships, causing irreparable damage.
- Episode 9 – “The Wish” Introduction of Anya, who plays a major role in future seasons, as Cordelia deals with the repercussions of betrayal.
- Episode 10 – “Amends” Written and directed by Joss Whedon, this is a crucial episode, as The First Evil appears to torment, destroy and warn both Angel and Buffy about the coming darkness. It also hints at Angel’s purpose (and upcoming spin-off show) while changing the depth of their relationship.
- Episode 12 – “Helpless” The relationship between Buffy and Giles is tested as Giles’ status in the Watcher’s Council is threatened.
- Episode 14 – “Bad Girls” A sudden accident changes the way Faith and Buffy perceive death and their job. The Mayor grows more powerful and Faith makes some choices that affect everyone.
- Episode 15 – “Consequences” Faith chooses the dark side and Buffy is forced to deal with the consequences of a crime and the loss of her friendship.
- Episode 17 – “Enemies” An elaborate plan to get Angel to lose his soul, results in hard truth and broken hearts. More information about the Mayor is revealed and Faith falls deeper into darkness.
- Episode 20 – “The Prom” Angel makes a difficult decision and Buffy is finally recognized for her work. Xander discovers Cordelia’s secret.
- Episodes 21 & 22 – “Graduation Day” A major battle against the Mayor puts the school – and Sunnydale – is put in danger. Oz and Willow take their relationship further, Buffy’s link to the Council changes, and a dangerous situation between Buffy and Angel forces him to make a hard decision.
More in this series: