24 Live Another Day Cancelled Or Renewed for Season 10? When Will 24 Return? Will There Be a 24 Reboot or Spinoff Series?
Stay tuned to our central 24 Hub as we bring you rolling updates on the cancellation/renewal status of FOX’s 24 event series continuation.
In serialized terms, the 12-episode limited series format makes 24: Live Another Day a relatively low-risk reboot, thus renewal less vital from a story perspective. However, the plan is to reboot the franchise with additional ‘limited’ seasons beyond LAD.
24 CANCELLED OR RENEWED FOR SEASON 10?
24 LIVE ANOTHER DAY CANCELLED / RENEWED UPDATES
- April 27, 2016 – FOX officially revives 24 for spinoff series 24: Legacy, to premiere in the 2016-17 season.
- January 15, 2016 – FOX takes early but firm steps towards a 24 revival in the shape of a spinoff series, 24: Legacy, currently ordered to pilot. 24: Legacy will not feature Kiefer Sutherland‘s Jack Bauer, with a new hero taking center stage instead.
- August 6, 2015 – 24 Season 10 continues to be developed at FOX, with the network suggesting it could be a ‘total character reset’ – that still means no Kiefer Sutherland, though the actor – who made the choice not to return – has given his blessing for the show to continue without him.
- June 13, 2015 – Mary Lynn Rajskub says she’s “not buying” the notion of 24 without Kiefer Sutherland, but confirms she’ll reprise her role as Chloe in the spinoff series.
- June 12, 2015 – Kiefer Sutherland explains his decision to quit 24 full-time, but leaves the door open for a cameo role in the planned spinoff series.
- June 1, 2015 – Howard Gordon confirms that a 24 spinoff revolving around a new male character is in development at FOX. He also clarifies Kiefer Sutherland‘s status in the franchise.
- May 5, 2015 – FOX CEO Gary Newman confirms that a “new version” of 24 is currently in development.
- January 27, 2015 – Fox elaborate on plans to move forward with an “exciting” new installment of 24 with a different character, should Kiefer Sutherland not want to return. Possible air date: 2016.
- January 17, 2015 – Fox say there are still “no current plans” to bring back 24, but discussions with the producers are ongoing. If and when 24 returns for a tenth season, Fox CEO Gary Newman says the series could potentially continue without Kiefer Sutherland.
- December 18, 2014 – Kiefer Sutherland rules himself out of a potential tenth season of 24.
- October 27, 2014 – FOX restructures its event series department, placing a question mark over the future of 24 and other serials.
- September 11, 2014 – FOX CEO Dana Walden confirms discussions with producers over “best opportunity” for another 24 event series. Notes that Live Another Day was a financial success for the network and studio.
- September 1, 2014 – 24 movie talks heat up, could be complicated by FOX’s likely interest in Season 10 in the near future.
- August 18, 2014 – Gordon remains “very, very positive” about the future of 24, and offers insight into potential Season 10 ‘pitch plans’.
- August 4, 2014 – Still no 24 Season 10 renewal news, but FOX are happy to report on the 24: LAD finale growing 45 percent from 6.5 million to 9.4 million viewers in Live +7 ratings, with an additional 12 percent expected from demand/online viewing over the next 30 days (totalling 10.7 million viewers). All of which outstrips the 24 Season 8 finale, which clocked up 10.4 million total. Whether this eventually helps sway a tenth season remains to be seen.
- July 24, 2014 – No 24 Season 10 renewal announcement at Comic-Con, but a movie is “still potentially out there.”
- July 20 – Fox CEO Peter Rice says 24 has “many more stories to tell“. While no plans are currently in place, he intends to “sit down and talk to the creators” [about Season 10].
- July 15 – EP Jon Cassar says 24 return “still open”, while Coto reveals a possible Season 10 storyline.
- July 14 – 24: Live Another Day wraps up dangling threads while setting up a possible Season 10 continuation. It also ends with a silent clock. While this device has been used previously (albeit rarely) throughout the series to signal death, surrender, sadness, etc, its use at the end of Day 9 places an inevitable question mark over the future of the show, which remains uncertain at Fox…
- July 14 – 24 alum believes show has potential to be an ongoing series once again.
- July 13 – Rajskub believes it’s a “matter of when” 24 will come back.
#24Season10 ‘A Matter Of When’, Says Mary Lynn Rajskub http://t.co/AyTI8h5ED8 #Renew24 #JackIsBack
— Seriable (@Seriable) July 13, 2014
- July 10 – EP Manny Coto updates on the future of 24, saying there are no current plans to continue “next year” (2015), but leaves the door ajar for another event series at some undetermined point.
- June 17 – EP Evan Katz says another 24 event series would require a “special circumstance“.
- June 13 – Producers say they’re open to a Bauer-free 24, with the series potentially continuing with Yvonne Strahovski replacing Kiefer Sutherland as lead.
- May 20 – Gordon reiterates that “there’s no reason not to” do more 24 beyond LAD if the ratings are good enough.
- May 14 – 24 EP Robert Cochran confirms that Jack Bauer wont be killed off at the end of LAD, leaving the door ajar for another series with Kiefer Sutherland in the lead role.
- Feb 21 – EP Howard Gordon confirms that there could be another 24 limited series to follow Live Another Day, and that it very much depends on ratings.
- Jan 28, 2014 – Producer-writer David Fury says the plan is to have more 24 event series after LAD, “if the ratings are up”.
24: Live Another Day Ratings
TV Ratings are ©2014 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.