The eighth episode of Under The Dome (“Thicker Than Water”) gave us a bit more insight into the mini dome mystery and quite possibly the dome’s larger plans for the residents of Chester’s Mill. Let’s break it down.
- After touching the mini dome (with both hands), Julia sees a second Joe who repeats the line “The Monarch Will be Crowned“. The mystifying message comes on the heels of Norrie’s earlier prophetic vision of her mom and the dome’s possible hand in her death and the arrival of Harriet’s child.
So, what could it mean? What is the dome trying to say with this latest cryptic tease?
- Possibility #1: It’s a message about the outside world. Is a new ruler about to come to power? This seems a bit unlikely as the show rarely focuses on the outside world (perhaps to its detriment at times). And anyway, how would a new king or queen on the outside impact those stuck inside Chester’s Mill?
- Possibility #2: Big Jim, King. Given that the episode sees Big Jim overthrow Ollie, aka ‘The Water Well Prince’, with a little help from Junior, could the dome be prophesizing Jim’s rise to power? While Jim has already been ‘crowned’ with a thwack to the head, would the dome really care unless it was something it was actively involved in?
- Possibility #3: Angie and the Monarchs. The most likely outcome at this stage is that the “Monarch Will Be Crowned” relates to Angie and her Butterfly tattoo, as seen in the above screencap.
- This idea is further strengthened by the reappearance of a Monarch butterfly (aka the “wanderer”) near the beginning of the episode when Barbie is digging Alice’s grave.
- It was implied in 1.05 “Blue On Blue” that the butterflies have been drawn (summoned?) to the dome due to the affect it has on the electromagnetic field.
- And then there’s Angie’s talk of escaping the ‘snow globe’ that is Chester’s Mill, while the fact that the dome uses a vision of Joe to deliver its message may also make sense given that he’s Angie’s brother.
- With all that in mind, it seems possible that for whatever reason the dome sees Angie as the “Monarch” who will be crowned.
- Crowned as in ascend to power, or be bestowed with abilities, perhaps? Is this the season of Angie’s empowerment, in one way or another? Interesting given her request to be protected from Junior, who it should be remembered, claimed the dome was playing havoc with her mental faculties.
- A more worrisome thought is that “crowned” could refer to a pregnancy storyline, but let’s not go there. Ever. Please.
- Of course, if the show wanted to get really interesting, it would turn out that Angie had subconsciously manifested the dome (snow globe) and butterflies (tattoo).