The creators and cast of ABC’s Once Upon A Time In Wonderland previewed the upcoming spinoff series at today’s TCA panel.
Continue below for Wonderland highlights from today’s TCA panel:
- EP Edward Kitsis says Wonderland is “like a psychedelic romance. It’s trippy, it’s weird, but it also has some real characters.”
- Contrary to initial reports, the show is not recasting Sebastian Stan‘s Mad Hatter. Says Kitsis: “We’re never going to have a Mad Hatter that’s not played by Sebastian.”
- Roger Daltry will continue to voice the Caterpillar in Wonderland.
- The Cheshire Cat will pounce in the pilot.
- John Lithgow’s White Rabbit (introduced in the pilot) will be a regular character.
- The premiere will travel through the rabbit hole into Wonderland, meet Jafar and see more Red Queen”.
- Alice wont be a “damsel in distress” say the producers. Sophie Lowe adds: “She’s tough, mentally and physically. She can kick ass and take care of herself”
- EP Adam Horowitz reiterates that Wonderland has “a close-ended story within the first season.” Kitsis adds: “The real idea for us is to tell a very focused, contained story for Alice.” If the show gets a second season, “we will come back with another adventure,” said Horowitz.
- LOST vet Naveen Andrews on taking the role as Wonderland villain Jafar: “I just want to do stuff that’s completely different.”
- Producers hope to have Barbara Hershey (Cora, The Queen of Hearts) back in flashbacks.
- Story and character will come first, vows Horowitz.