Welcome to Once Upon A Time Observations — your weekly guide through the visual clues and overarching connections in ABC’s Once Upon A Time. This week, we’re navigating “Lady Of The Lake“.
- The title card for this episode features Lancelot walking through the Enchanted Forest of Enchantment, foreshadowing his involvement in both fairytale land threads.
HENRY MEET HENRY
- Henry goes digging in Regina’s lair and the first thing he notices is his namesake, the late Henry Mills. He then comes across the vault of hearts, though he doesn’t investigate, perhaps distracted by the other shiny objects in the next room.
- For some reason he’s drawn to a box which contains the two-headed Agrabah Vipers that Regina used (via the Genie) to poison King Leopold.
- The chimera feast is an early indicator that Lancelot wasn’t who he seemed to be. The Chimera is a mythical creature composed of three animals: a lion, a serpent and a goat.
- Metaphorically, the composition of the chimera reflects the fact that Cora played three roles in the episode: Cora the prisoner, Cora the leader and Cora the real.
- Cora killed Lancelot long ago and her ability to shape-shift (something we’ve seen Regina do on occasion) meant that she was able to rule her own kingdom under the guise of it being a “safe haven”. But her Lancelot deception is indicative of the way she tried to attain power through Regina. Her reliance on vessels is potentially interesting.
- Cora admits that she’s been looking for “a way over [presumably to Earth] for so long”. Once again Snow has helped her find Regina’s ‘weak spot’, just as she did when revealing her affair with the Stable Boy.
LADY OF THE LAKE
- Charming returns to Lake Nostos, the place where he once fought and killed the Siren, in hope of using its regenerative properties to save his mother. Back then he was on a quest for water to transform Frederick back from the Midas state.
- Killing the Siren has left the lake barren — all except for a shell of water, just enough for one sip, which somehow hadn’t evaporated.