[tps_title]THE BIG FINALE[/tps_title]
- A lot of this episode’s events and quotes seem to foreshadow the flashsideways storyline from the final season of the show. First of all, Dave tells Hurley “I’m part of your subconscious, man. All the people on this island are”. According to Christian in The End, the flashsideways world was made by all the survivors together. Basically, it exists in their shared minds only. After all their experiences together, the survivors have all become part of each otherssubconsciouses.
- Libby uses the argument that life on the island can’t possibly exist in Hurley’s mind, simply because she has lived a life of her own that Hurley is not aware of. She’ll be eating her words after she’s dead.
- Dave tells Hurley “I’m the part of you that wants to wake up”. This is the term Desmond used when talking about making the survivors aware of their previous life.
- “This is it, dude. The big finale! The answer to all your problems!” The big finale… It sure was. While we as an audience might not have gotten all the “answers” we were looking for, the survivors sure did when they reunited in the church. The flashsideways was a way for the survivors to deal with the problems not yet solved in “real” life. According to Dave, death is the only way for Hurley to truly “wake up” and be at peace with himself. He even tells him “This is gonna bring you back to life”.
- Dave’s last words: “I’ll see you in another life, Hurley”. An obvious reference to Desmond’s catchphrase, which in itself could be foreshadowing the survivors’ “other life”. Jack repeats this line in the finale. In fact, they are the last words he says before he dies.
- Like in the flashsideways, Libby’s kiss is what brings Hurley back to the real world. She basically tells him “everything that’s ever happened to you is real” – Christian’s words to Jack in the finale.