Welcome back to LOST Observations! We’re looking back at a very character centric Sun flashback episode this time. While Sun discovers that she’s carrying a miracle baby, Locke and Jack have officially started knocking heads.
Remember, you can scroll over the pictures for extended fun.
Beware – major plot spoilers for Seasons 1-6 ahead
“You guys have some real trust issues, don’t you?”OPENING A CAN OF SPERM
- The big reveal of the episode: Sun is pregnant! From an infertile man, no less! Juliet explains to Sun in D.O.C. that, somehow, the sperm count of men on the island is five times higher than usual. The revelation of the Source of Life, Death and Rebirth in Across The Sea should explain that bit of island magic. The island is capable of miracles, which is probably why the Egyptians built the giant statue of Tawaret – the Egyptian goddess of birth, fertility and protection.
- While the island itself does wonders to sperm, it’s men who changed the rules of Life and Death for the worse; up until 1977, when ”The Incident” took place, women could give birth on the island without a problem (although Dharma did prefer to ship women off the island for delivery). When the pocket of electromagnetic energy was released by Dharma scientists, complications arose: Pregnant women started dying on the island… Which is why Claire received vaccinations from Ethan, as revealed in the previous episode. They come, they fight, they destroy, they corrupt…
- The reveal of the couple’s fertility problems explains a lot of Jin’s actions on the show, going as far back as the Pilot episode. Back then, Jin seemed afraid to touch Claire’s belly, but grew more interested when little Aaron started kicking.
- In House Of The Rising Sun, Jin shared an interesting look with Walt – but not one that seemed to have anything to do with the fact that he’d almost killed his father.
- Jin seems concerned about Claire’s baby again in Homecoming, after which he and Sun share another interesting look. “I’m sure the baby is fine”, she tells him with an unhappy face.
- Jin comforts Claire during her labor in Do No Harm, and cheers when Aaron is born.
- When Charlie asks Jin if Sun could help him out with the baby, Jin simply answers “No!” and backs away. Back then, it seemed that Jin didn’t want to look for Sun as they were having a fight at the time, but now it seems possible that having a baby around would be upsetting for both Jin and Sun.