Welcome back to LOST Observations! This week, we look back at Sawyer’s plan to take charge on the island, aka “The Long Con.”
Remember, you can scroll over the pictures for extended fun.
Beware – major plot spoilers for Seasons 1-6 ahead
“It’s all in the details.”
THE SHORT CON
- As mentioned in my Observations for ”Confidence Man’‘, Sawyer repeats his con from his first flashback episode, almost word for word. For some reason, it never turns out in his favor. Cassidy figures out pretty easily that Sawyer is ”dropping the pigeon” on her.
- When Sawyer tries the trick of the broken suitcase a third time in Recon, he’s actually an undercover cop trying to get his bed partner to confess.
THE CASE OF CASSIDY
- This episode marks the first appearance of Cassidy Phillips, a character integral to the storylines of Sawyer and Kate. She appears in four flashback episodes, and leaves a lasting impression on our two favorite outlaws.
- Cassidy will bump into Kate a while after having her heart broken by Sawyer as she tries to con a few men into buying fake necklaces – the way Sawyer taught her (Left Behind). When Cassidy tells Kate about her experience with this ”bad guy” she met, Kate tells her to press charges against him…
- …which she does (Every Man For Himself). Sawyer eventually wound up in prison, then conned his way out of prison again. He gave the money he earned with his con to Clementine – the daughter he left Cassidy with.
- After spending some time on the island, Sawyer started to see the error in his ways. Knowing he would never leave the island, he told Kate to seek out his daughter and apologize to her on his behalf (There’s No Place Like Home)…
- …which she does (Whatever Happened, Happened). Kate and Cassidy became friends, and Cassidy told Kate that she needed Aaron to fix her broken heart. According to Cassidy, Sawyer jumped out of the helicopter because he was a coward, rather than a hero. That’s one hell of a grudge! Interestingly, Sawyer doesn’t deny it when Kate tells him about Cassidy’s theory.
- The big mystery here is this: Did Sawyer ever really love Cassidy? If we were to believe his confession during the game of I, Never with Kate in Outlaws, he had never been in love. Prior to meeting Kate, that is. Still, the way he looked at Cassidy’s picture (while robbing her of her money) is curious.
- Worth pointing out that Sawyer also told Kate that he ”never wore pink”, even though he clearly is in the first flashback scene. Something between amaranth and raspberry still counts as pink, James!
- Did Sawyer love his daughter when he gave her the money? Possibly. One thing is clear: he did not want to be her father. He never wanted the money to be traced back to him, and he told Kate that he was ”never fit to be that little girl’s father” in Whatever Happened, Happened.
WHITE MEAT ONLY
- The snarky waitress serving beer to Sawyer and a plate of chicken (salad) to Gordy is Kate’s mother, Diane Janssen.
- Cassidy, the woman Sawyer and Gordy are discussing at the table, will meet Kate’s mother as well in Left Behind!
- Kevin Dunn, who plays Gordy, was originally set to make an appearance in an unused Sawyer flashback for Adrift.
Next: The Tiny Con…