With the second season of Game Of Thrones reaching its climax this Sunday, details on the new characters set to feature in the fantasy serial’s third season have emerged online.
EW.com has a list of the new characters who will feature in the third season of Game Of Thrones, which will borrow from George R.R. Martin’s third Song of Ice and Fire novel A Storm of Swords. It’s been previously noted by showrunners David Benioff and Daniel Weiss, that the density of the novels means they are not doing book-by-book adaptation, rather, using different elements to best suit the show — this is reflected in the character listing below, which includes some characters who missed out on the second season.
“It’s important to point out that that we have the largest cast on television right now. We introduced dozens of new characters in season two. If you hurl 300 characters at an audience, the story collapses under the weight of too many faces, too many names, and too many subplots. We need to be just as mindful of the audience members who have never read the books as we are of the readers; the series will fail if we only appeal to those who already know the characters. So we try to be parsimonious about how many new roles we introduce to the story and when we introduce them.”
Without further ado, here are the new characters arriving Season 3:
– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.
– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.
– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.
– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.
– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.
– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.
– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.
– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.
– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.
– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.
Plus a “few others” not listed above.