- Peter takes an Apple pill from Etta, this opens the door way to his memories.
- Five weeks after the invasion (dated December 20, 2015) a man called “Donald” showed up at the camp. He was apparently waiting for a scientist (Walter?) from Boston. With the scientist late, Donald went down into the mine himself and gathered the reddish rocks, per Walter’s plan.
- Could Donald be the Observers’ assassin Donald Long from “August”? (though the photo doesn’t look like Mr. Long, and he was apparently killed by Peter).
- After retrieving the rocks, Donald was apprehended and forcibly taken away by two Observers, who were “angry” at him.
- The rocks apparently produce a “powerful energy source” – a necessary component in Walter’s plan. Windmark extracted part of the plan from Walter’s mind during his interrogation when he queried “What are the stones?”
- The reddish hue of the rocks may further keep “stasis runes” in the running to be Walter’s plan for getting rid of the Observers — as we know, they were used used to trap September and had an orange/reddish symbol (which, admittedly, might not be important).
- Alternatively (or in addition to), the “powerful energy” produced by the rocks may open up some kind of portal through which to send the invaders.
RELIABILITY OR CONTINUITY?
- Olivia’s flashback includes a look at a missing persons wall, which has a flyer for “Jimmy Hopkins”, missing November 2033, and another child who went missing in June 2033. Olivia was in amber during this time, so it’s most likely an intentional blotch on her reliability as a narrator or a continuity error.
- “108″ – could be viewed as a LOST nod.
NEXT EPISODE CLUE?
- A white dove with an olive branch, symbolic of peace. Within the subtext of the show, Olivia has often been positioned as the bringer of peace.
- Walter’s comment about the tape, “I’ve only just liberated it” is of course a nod to the team’s own recent amber liberation.
- Olivia’s great memory is still intact when recalling the tape coordinates, evidence that she still has traces of Cortexiphan in or system (though it could be a part of her natural ability). In “Brave New World: Part 2″ Walter noted that her Cortexiphan levels were now negligible, though that leaves room for some remnants.
- Walter suggesting that he should stay at the lab to “regroup” is reflective of the missing parts of the plan scattered across his partitioned mind/erased memory.
- Etta: “This is exactly where we’re supposed to be”. The ‘destiny’ button has bee pushed a few times this season.
- Edwin’s wrong assumption that the Fringe team had died “a long time ago” puts him down as a somewhat unreliable narrator, though in fairness, who could account for amber. Makes me wonder what the Observers might not account for?
- The ‘recordist’ concept has shades of the science team Observers and the Weiss family – each diligent recorders of history in their own ways.
- Fitting that post invasion history was recorded on cubes, their three dimensional properties adding symbolic quality to the observation of human history.
- The retrieval of the rocks (treasure) from “the source” (mind) is symbolic of Walter digging into his memory (recordings) to assemble his plan to defeat the Observers.
- Walter notes that “in 1923 a mine collapsed in Peru”. Another Peru reference after Simon Foster argued that the Fringe team were not in Peru.
- “The Recordist” is the second episode in a row where the fringe team find themselves underground, further illustrating the stealth theme of the season and the sense of subconscious navigation.
- The Glyph code for “The Recordist” spelled ANGER.