In this edition of Fringe Observations we tear “Worlds Apart” for clues and overarching connections.
- Walter’s illustration of the universe collapse brings to mind Nina’s snow globe demonstration of the ‘great storm’; explaining what would happen if the two universes occupied the same space.
OBSERVING THE OBSERVER
- The Observer finds himself at Sydney Harbour as Sally Clarke prepares to activate her end of Jones’ plan.
THIS EPISODE CLUE
- The clue hidden in the previous episode, foreshadowing this episode, was the “EPICENTER CLUB” poster in reference to DRJ triggering earthquakes around the world.
BRINGING CORTEXI BACK
- Cortexiphan, though it’s not exactly clear whether it’s administered to Olivia or Alt-Nick. In the previous timeline non-Cortexiphaned adults died from Walternate’s Cortexiphan treatments, though it seems they received more than one dose.
- If Alt-Nick was the recipient, a minimal dose was presumably safe in helping facilitate Olivia’s ability to ‘see’ Nick through his doppelganger.
- Nick still has his “2″ scar in this timeline.
- A reflective Lincoln lee moment, perhaps foreshadowing his later decision to remain in the alternate universe at the closure of the Bridge, while reinforcing the severed link between the two universes — worlds apart.
NEXT EPISODE CLUE
- The likely clue for the next episode is a “Liberty” sign with the logo of a bell, surely in reference to William Bell, who was revealed to still be alive in this timeline. Earlier reports of his demise were much exaggerated.
- Bad Robot’s recurring number 47 pops up again.
A BRIDGE TOO FAR
- The creation of the Bridge was underlined by Olivia’s “we’re here now.” As they come full circle, the dissolution of the Bridge is marked by Walter saying “I think shall miss them..” Not important in and of itself, but those two lines encapsulate the healing that has taken place throughout this past arc. His “..more than I imagined” is also interesting given the ongoing creation themes.
STORM IS COMING
- Perhaps nothing given that it occurred in a different timeline, but it’s somewhat interesting that William Bell disappeared into Olivia’s subconscious during a ‘storm,’ and his potential return to the story comes amid DRJ creating storms (and the like) with a view to crafting a new realm. With Olivia having regained her memories from the other timeline, it’s not out of the question that a part of Bellie is still rattling around inside her. Not that I think he’ll necessarily return this way, but it’s worth noting.
- Nick and the other Cortexiphan kids are (for the most part) wearing dark clothing, as per the original ZFT mythology.
- Walternate quotes Marcus Aurelius: “The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.” This can be looked at in several ways, though I like attaching it to DRJ’s quest to essentially shape a new world from his imagination.
- DRJ’s activation of Cortexiphan kids in this timeline may suggest that he was behind their activation in the original timeline, though with Bellie recently confirmed as still in-play, we could get a different retrospective answer. As for the current timeline, it could be that DRJ is working against or with Bellie.
- The glyphs for this episode spelled ALIVE — perhaps in reference to William Bell.