Welcome to Fringe Observations — your weekly guide to the clues, symbolism, parallels and connections throughout all four seasons of Fringe. In this week’s guide we comb through “The End Of All Things” for the story within the story.
THIS EPISODE CLUE
- The clue for this episode is the Springs reference seen at the Deerfield Hospital in “A Better Human Being,” foreshadowing the spring matress Jones used to ‘torture’ Nina.
DO NO ARM
- The reveal of NinRed’s mechanical arm riffs the first season when David Robert Jones attacked NinBlue, stealing the power cell hidden in her mechanical arm.
- The Observers converge near a geodesic dome, reminiscent of the Season 4 cast images. They have interconnected, projected structures, offering symbolic reinforcement of the episode’s themes.
- December instructs the others to wait for September to surface. This may seem like an idle act, but careful observation is the hallmark of an Observer.
- His confidence that September “will surface again” serves as a nod to the subterranean themes that have accompanied the Observer mythology, i.e. the child and Beacon, while also illustrating September’s plunge into emotional attachment.
- As in the original timeline, Jones tries to activate Olivia’s ability using the light-box. Back then she had to turn the lights off, here she’s tasked with turning them on.
- Two of the bell-shaped bulbs are missing, leaving an array of 47 bulbs – Bad Robot’s special number.
- The team uncover the older image of Leland Spivey on the memory disc. This “Palimpsest” serves as an allusion to the overwritten timeline and bleed-through of Olivia’s original memories.
- September arrives in the lab to warn Peter, presumably at the same time as he warns Olivia of her impending doom ‘several weeks ago’ from linear perspective.
BEGINNING OF ALL FRINGE
- Classic stock-esque footage, reminiscent of the first season, in particular (if memory serves) Oliva’s journey into John Scott’s consciousness.
- Peter’s journey into September’s mind is of course reminiscent of his and Walter’s trip into Olivia’s consciousness, where they would meet Man X.
- Walter labels September’s consciousness “Mr. X” because he doesn’t know his name.
- Does this foreshadow the idea that Man X is the convergence of Peter and September? It can’t be ruled out, though it could be a more indirect reference to the concept of Man X, or simply a misdirect.
- Whatever the case may be, thematic purists may note the red “convergence” marker as a possible connection to the red zeppelin which also served as a kind of convergence of entities in Lysergic Acid Diethylamide.
- Also worth noting that Lysergic Acid Diethylamide saw the convergence of Olivia and William Bell’s consciousness thematically coded with the color red.
THROUGH THE OBSERVADOR
- Peter almost breaks the fourth wall as he observes..us. Kinda.
BLUE THE BIG BANG
- He witnesses the ‘start of creation’ from the observation deck, which happens to contain the famous blue flares seen most prominently during early series Pattern Events and universe toggles. Possible expansion on that part of the mythos.
- September assumes the role of narrator, taking Peter on a commentary-filled tour of Fringe mythos. Is September the elusive Fringe narrator? Is Peter? The search continues..
OBSERVER WAS HERE
- September says “they’re coming,” presumably in reference to the other Observers. Moments later he disappears from the Lab and a table seemingly falls over by itself.
- My guess is that it was toppled by another Observer or whoever came to get him.
- “Burn Unit” — possible next episode clue.
PASS RIGHT THROUGH ME
- The Season 1 parallels continue as Olivia’s bullet passes right through Jones. This time, however, Jones makes it safely through to the other side. Peter doesn’t have the Universe Blocker to close the portal and slice him in half.
- September tells Walternate that he’s an “admirer” when interrupting him in his lab. Being a scientist himself, he was a fan of Walternate. May further explain his over-exuberance to witness the moment.
- September tells Peter “you must find a way,” echoing Peter’s “I got to believe there’s another way” from 6955kHz.
- Olivia uses her ability to fry Leland (RIP). A similar scene took place in 1.19 The Road Not Taken, when Olivia helped Nancy Lewis concentrate her powers, setting fire to Sandford Harris (RIP).
- Olivia notes that she went all ‘Ultima’ when she was a little girl, presumably referring to scorching the room and causing Dr. Brenner to disappear.
- Jones escaped from the hospital (into the alt-universe hospital) echoing his escape from the hospital in 1.14 “Ability”.
- The glyphs code for this episode spelled UNITE.
Previously On Fringe Observations: 4.13 “A Better Human Being“