Please note: these rewatches may contain references to later episodes.
In case you didn’t manage to rewatch this episode, here’s a promo to give you a sense of where the story was:
This retrospective is focused around two main areas: NEW PERSPECTIVES, where I look at the episode with new eyes. And FINDING PETER, where I share my speculations and thoughts in relation to Peter ‘ceasing to exist’ and the new timeline.
As mentioned previously, I’ll be making an effort to avoid going over old ground, but there will be links at the end to my previous rewatch articles should you wish to drill down on my previous thoughts.
NEW PERSPECTIVES / FINDING PETER
- One of the main connecting aspects is the concept of starting over. As seen with the “Candy Man” and his accumulation of sins, new starts don’t necessarily wipe the slate clean.
- We also have the ongoing theme of redemption and how that redemption (perceived or otherwise) is sought.
- There are also some nice overarching elements and callbacks, including the Burlap Bear book; introduced in Unleashed, Broylante’s son being blind; later appropriating in future Broyles, and the preservation of youth; drawing from The Same Old Story. These seriable elements provide additional context the story.
- TA also touches on the notion that faith will heal “this wounded world.” Faith manifested in many forms in the season 3 finale to play its role alongside the science of the BBM and the will of the human heart.
- The episode ends with Olivia delivering a message to Peter via proxy. Season 4 could see something similar, but in the other direction.
Retrospective Rating: 5/10 Seriable Stars
Want more? Check out my previous TA write-ups: