Callbacks, similarities, crackpot theories and more!
- Cool shots establishing Mike the cleaner‘s character firsthand here same as in 5.02 “Madrigal”: never hurts to be extra careful.
- As discussed earlier, it’s interesting to note the contrasts between Mike and Walt even at a stage as early as “ABQ”: Mike’s character turns out more developed in the following seasons, probably more so than originally planned. Here he flat out slaps Jesse back into reality giving him a solid story to tell the cops. Compare this with Walt’s motivational blowfish speech in 2.07, where he encouraged Jesse to embrace the illusion. As the series goes forward, especially midway through season 4 and 5, this slight difference in parenthood techniques perhaps contributes to putting Jesse’s two father-figures, Walt and Mike, at each other’s throats.
- After the final flashforward cold open, we open to Jane and Jesse’s bed bouncing up and down in a clever shot which initially gives the idea that they’re having sex, as in a flashback or something, but turns out, a bewildered Jesse is hopelessly trying to bring her back to life. The scene pretty much plays out like the lowrider doing the final bounces in the aftermath of the Tuco/Hank shootout (see 2.02).
- There’s a cut in 2.09 in which two plane contrails meet (mentioned previously in 2.09 observations). This might as well be an extremely covert foreshadowing of the Wayfarer collision:
- Hank: “Almost as if somebody wised up and stopped shitting where they eat.” – Well now we know Gus best follows Jesse’s street rule! (see 1.01)