Major plot spoilers for seasons 1-5 ahead.
6. IT’S IN HER GENE’S
EPISODE: 5.13 An Enemy Of Fate
MAJOR PLAYERS: Astrid, Walter
SCENE DESCRIPTION: In one last attempt to soothe Walter before their dangerous mission, Astrid shows him the ambered Gene.
- An incredibly sweet moment between Walter and Astrid that perfectly shows what their relationship has turned into over the course of the show. They’ve grown to care a lot for each other, even in the new timeline. Walter even gets Astrid’s name right!
Astrid: “Walter, this is not the end. We’re gonna win this! And when we do, we’ll be drinking strawberry milkshakes in the lab and not even gonna remember that this happened.”
- Astrid tells Walter that they’re going to “win this” and that they will live happily ever after as soon as the plan is finished. Walter knows that this can’t happen, but her words and her care for him still manage to comfort him. It’s this scene that made me really appreciate the chemistry between actors John Noble and Jasika Nicole. It’s sad that we won’t be seeing them together again, at least for a while.
- The music that plays is Astrid’s theme, which has not been heard on the show since its introduction in Making Angels.
5. LIFE AND NEAR-DEATH
EPISODE: 3.18 Bloodline
MAJOR PLAYERS: Fauxlivia, Alt. Lincoln, Henry Higgins
SCENE DESCRIPTION: After an accelerated pregnancy, Fauxlivia gives birth to little baby Henry. There is one issue: Fauxlivia might not make it through delivery.
- Don’t we all love to love Fauxlivia, even more than we love to hate her? This episode, and this scene in particular, changed most of our opinions about the evil tempting viper.
- Fauxlivia is worried that she might have a condition called VPE; the same condition that took the life of her sister and her unborn child. By accelerating the pregnancy (almost like in The Same Old Story), Walternate saves Fauxlivia’s life.
- For a moment it seems like Faux really does die, and it’s probably that moment that made many of us realize that we actually care whether she lived or died. A cheap trick, maybe, but an effective one.
Fauxlivia: “Promise me that you will stay until this is over!”
Lincoln: “There’s no other place for me to be… I love you.”
- What makes this scene so memorable is the relationship between Fauxlivia and Alternate Lincoln. Our Lincoln might have been a bit of a bore, but this one is a version most of the fans liked, and the series finale seemed to suggest that it’s Fauxlivia that made the difference between the two Lincs. Lincoln loves Olivia unconditionally and she clearly loves him back, although more as a brother than a lover.
- Lincoln is right: it’s all about this moment. Fauxlivia names her son after the man who helped her through labor. A man she has never seen before – although he thinks he has met her.