Welcome to BEST OF FRINGE — counting down the top 33 character moments from five seasons of Fringe. With part 1 already released, continue reading for part 2 — and beware, major plot spoilers for Seasons 1-5 ahead!
26. MASSIVE REGRET
EPISODE: 2.07 Of Human Action
MAJOR PLAYERS: Walter, Peter
SCENE DESCRIPTION: Walter enters Massive Dynamic for the first time. It brings back a lot of memories about William Bell and Elizabeth.
- A short, but powerful scene with Walter and Peter. Walter had heard about Massive Dynamic (who hasn’t, right?) but had never actually been there before.
- Entering the building brings back a lot of memories for the mad scientist. While Walter was in the mental institution, William formed one of the biggest companies in the world. This is touched upon in the show’s Pilot, but not really explored any further until now.
Walter: “It was her idea, you know? That Belly and I would one day form a company together. He just couldn’t wait, I suppose. But, thankfully, she was still there for you while I was gone…”
- We learn that Walter and William had been planning to build Massive Dynamic for a long time, and that William had introduced Walter to Elizabeth, who would later become his wife.
- With Elizabeth dead and Walter living under the care of his son, it certainly feels like William has been more successful at life. In Over There, Walter will make his anger toward William quite clear as he tells him he “robbed him of his memories, of his wife, of his son, of his past”…
- In season 3, Walter actually gets to own the company. Nina Sharp calls him “a bit unorthodox”… but that’s why you should not do drugs.
25. AND SO THEY MEET
EPISODE: 3.15 Subject 13
MAJOR PLAYERS: Peter, Olivia
SCENE DESCRIPTION: Peter meets Olivia in a white tulip field after she ran away. The two talk about their parents and comfort each other as it starts to snow.
Olivia: “How’d you know I would come here?”
Peter: “Because it’s the only drawing that looked happy. My name’s Peter.”
Olivia: “Mine’s Olivia.”
- Peter and Olivia. The one true couple. Even at such a young age, both of them were broken. Peter was kidnapped from another universe, and Olivia spends her days getting beaten by her stepfather and being experimented on.
- The two meet in a field of white tulips. In the episode White Tulip, Walter tells Alistair Peck that he has asked God for a sign of forgiveness, which the tulips represent. Tulips don’t usually grow this time of year, but God could make it happen if he wanted to.
- Wish fulfillment is an important theme on the show, and it gets discussed in this scene as well. Peter tells Olivia “you gotta imagine how you want things to be, and then you can try and change them”. A few moments later, Olivia has cooled off and makes it snow. Peter and Olivia will not remember this moment when fate brings them together years later, but we will!
- Karley Scott Collins (young Olivia) and Quinn Lord (young Peter before the recast) played Hansel and Gretel together on Once Upon A Time.