By now most Alphas fans will likely have heard that the show has been cancelled after two seasons, following Syfy’s eventual decision to pull the plug on the superhero series.
A mid-season wobble aside, the series underwent significant improvement in Season 2, becoming a lot more serialized and rooted in the central Rosen/Stanton Parish storyline before culminating in a big open-ended cliffhanger. Clearly the writers were banking on that third season to reveal the fates of Rosen, Stanton, Gary, et al, and continue the storyline in what would surely have been an altered post-“God’s Eye” landscape.
Unfortunately the gamble didn’t pay off, and unless the producers decide the reveal where they planned to take the story in Season 3, or Alphas gets continued in another medium, we’re left wondering what would have happened next, as Alphas joins that exclusive club of serialized shows that ended without proper closure.
With that in mind, we’ve decided to put together a few ideas on what might have happened next, based on where the season/series left off. Let us be your Season 3..
Related – Alphas Cast Respond To Cancellation
Where Were We?
Rosen pushes forward in his bid to avenge Dani’s death by killing Stanton, while the rest of the gang race against time to prevent the photon flash from going off and supercharging the abilities of Alphas, potentially killing millions of non-supers in the process. In a twist, Stanton tells Rosen that he wants him to live so that he can lead the new-age Alphas. But the the flash goes off and everyone falls to the ground unconscious (in a scene evoking another seriable or two)..all except Gary. CLIFFHANGER!
Where Season 3 Could Have Gone
- As mentioned, the Alphas landscape would undoubtedly have changed with many Alphas seeing their powers turbo-charge while some ‘humans’ would likely have developed abilities. This may have created a new world order of sorts, to a larger extent than had been present in the first two seasons.
- We may also have seen more factions of Alphas, the new and the old, with some enjoying their new found/heightened abilities and others, not so much.
- I imagine Rosen would have survived, largely because it’s difficult to imagine the show continue without David Strathairn. It’s of course possible his gunshot wound signaled the end for the character, but perhaps more likely it spelled the dramatic twist with Rosen developing healing powers of some variety and saving his own life as a result of the blast, further locking Rosen and Stanton together in mythology.
- Because there had to be some cost from the fallout, it would have made sense for Stanton to perish, immortalizing himself as a ‘martyr’ and delivering some sort of narrative payoff in what would have been the Season 3 premiere.
- After his emotionally charged journey, Rosen may have eventually stepped up and led the ‘NeoAlphas’, where he would find himself becoming evermore like Stanton, perhaps even worse. A new threat would probably have emerged, while the gang’s loyalties would be challenged and perhaps divided irrecoverably.
Related – Alphas Complete Season 2 on DVD
While the above is just speculation, it helps illustrate that organically the story was far from done. Alphas may not have always put its best foot forward, but the story seemed to have plenty of legs.
Again, it remains to be seen whether there will be any resolution as to what the creators had in mind for the future of Alphas (assuming a long-term plan was in place), but for now all we can do is imagine how the story would have continued.
Do you have any thoughts on where a third season would have gone? Are you satisfied with where the show ultimately ended up, or would you have preferred continuation or a more rounded conclusion?