THE FROG MINCE
- Sawyer is bothered by a tree frog in what might just be the lamest subplot of the show so far. Jin, who has bonded with Sawyer during their trek across the island, doesn’t want to help him. That might just be because of Sawyer’s actions in the previous episode, The Long Con. And Jin doesn’t even know half of it!
- One thing we do get out of this little subplot is a big secret Hurley has been keeping from the survivors: he has been keeping some of the food from the Swan pantry to himself.
- If I’m remembering right, this reveal was supposed to “explain” why Hurley hadn’t lost weight on the island. After the (literally) sweet ending of Everybody Hates Hugo, it almost feels as if he’s betrayed us!
- Hurley will get rid of the food again in an almost as sweet opening scene in Dave. It’s a waste, but… it’s therapeutic.
- Sawyer wants to get rid of the frog by, say, squashing it in his hand. More interesting, again, is Hurley, who wants to look for a different solution. A situation where everybody, including the tree frog, would get to be happy. It’s just like him, as Ben will remind him in The End: “Maybe there’s another way. A better way.”