Buffy Season 4 – Core Mythology Episodes
Seriable recommends experiencing the entire fourth season of Buffy. However, for those of you who want to dive in at the deep end, we believe the following episodes to be the most crucial to understanding the BtVS Season Four character/story arcs:
- Episode 3 – “The Harsh Light of Day”: Buffy meets Parker, Xander and Anya begin their strange relationship and Spike returns, creating a nice cross-over episode that is carried over on Angel
- Episode 6 – “Wild At Heart”: Oz and Willow have to deal with a new woman coming in between them as Buffy races against the secret military group on campus.
- Episode 7 – “The Initiative”: The secret military organization’s activities are revealed, along with Riley’s connection to it and Buffy’s role as resident slayer on campus.
- Episode 10 – “Hush”: Buffy and Riley’s secret identities are revealed to each other and Willow meets Tara in a beautifully acted and shot episode with limited dialogue.
- Episode 12 – “A New Man”: A hilarious Giles-centric episode that explores Buffy and Giles’ relationship and foreshadowing the secret The Initiative is hiding.
- Episode 13 – “The I in Team”: Adam, the strange and powerful creature, is introduced. Buffy and Riley get closer as he’s forced to choose between he and his job.
- Episode 15 – “This Year’s Girl”: Faith wakes up from her coma and seeks revenge on Buffy. Adam grows stronger in terrifying ways.
- Episode 16 – “Who Are You?”: Faith continues to inflict damage on Buffy’s life, altering her relationships with friends and enemies.
- Episode 19 – “New Moon Rising”: Oz returns for Willow as she makes a profound announcement. Riley makes a decision about The Initiative.
- Episode 20 – “The Yoko Factor”: Angel visits Buffy and has a showdown with Riley. The gang starts to splinter and grow apart as Adam becomes stronger.
- Episode 21 – “Primeval”: Buffy is forced to repair relationships and engage in battle with Adam. A difficult spell combines the energies of the gang, unleashing a powerful mystical force.
- Episodes 22 – “Restless”: The mystical force the gang tapped into to battle Adam comes to haunt them in their dreams. Foreshadows what’s to come for the next season.
More in this series:
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1 Review
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 2 Review
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3 Review