TALK TO THE RIGHT-HAND MAN
- Tom emerges from the jungle to greet Jack, Locke and Sawyer. Just the man Sawyer was hoping to see. There are plenty of interesting things said by Ben’s right-hand man – not all of them entirely ”accurate”.
- ”Why don’t you build us a fire, John?” – Tom makes it clear that he knows a lot about the survivors, including their names. We won’t find out how until the Season 3 episode One Of Us, when it’s revealed that the Others have contact with the outside world via The Flame.
- ”He’s a very special boy.” – Man, where have we heard that before? And don’t say Once Upon A Time; Walt was described as ”different” and ”special” several times before by Brian Porter (Walt’s stepfather) and Locke (Special).
- ”You go over a man’s house for the first time… Do you take off your shoes?” – Tom is telling the survivors that the island belongs to the Others. They tolerate the survivors, but don’t want them to forget they are merely guests at their home. If we were to take the quote a bit more literally, it would take us back to Adrift, when Locke took off his shoes upon entering the hatch. Of course, Jack left his on.
- Tom also mentions ”opening doors to rooms you got no business opening”. He directly looks at Locke – as does Jack. It seems to imply there’s a connection between the Others and Dharma, but this is not the case. In fact, the fake Dharma station at the camp Tom takes Michael to is literally named ”The Door”, and it’s just there to make the survivors (or us viewers) think that the Others are a part of Dharma.
- ”Since the dawn of our species, man’s been blessed with curiosity.” – Now, this really is a confusing one. Tom refers to someone a lot smarter than any of them. This man is, in fact, Alvar Hanso, who funded the Dharma Initiative. The quote was revealed to be his on a (no longer available) part of the online ”LOST Experience” ARG, which started between Seasons 2 and 3.
- Not much is known about Tom’s past. It’s possible he was part of the Dharma Initiative and joined the Others after the Purge. The Alvar Hanso quote is definitely a red herring, but there were hints dropped already that the Dharma Initiative and the Others were two separate parties.
- ”That’s an interesting theory!” – Yeah, now they’re just screwing with us.
- ”You cross that line, we go from misunderstanding to something else” – Again, all lies. The Others are sophisticated, but not that sophisticated. They don’t have people or camera’s guarding the line 24/7. When Stubborn Jack comes back to cross the line in S.O.S., there’s no one there.
- Tom lets the hunting party know they’re surrounded. This is not the last time we’ll see the Others do this. The Others surrounded the Barracks during the Purge (The Man Behind The Curtain). They used the same tactic to ambush the survivors in episodes such as Live Together, Die Alone, Jughead, Whatever Happened, Happened and There’s No Place Like Home (image above).
- The survivors themselves use the surrounding technique to capture Ethan in Homecoming. They also do it to show their power and skills to Daniel Faraday and Miles in Confirmed Dead.
FLYING TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN
- Remember, back in my observations for What Kate Did, I pointed out that Jin’s only interactions with Locke were in that episode and This Place Is Death. Here, again, do we have Jin preparing to join Locke, only to be stopped by his wife, who doesn’t want him to leave her again. This is getting ridiculous!
- Sun is being very controlling in this episode, much like Jin used to be. He never forced her to wear a stupid hat, but he did command her to button her blouse (Pilot).
Jin: Honey, I don’t like being told what to do.
Sun: Being told what to do was my life for four years. I didn’t like it much either.
Jin: Right. I don’t suppose you did.
- It might seem like a small step for a couple that’s been married for four years, but it’s easy to forget that Sun and Jin were only just starting to get together again when the raft launched. There’s plenty of time to work on the bigger issues, like Sun lying about Jin’s fertility problem, meeting Jin’s father, her affair with Jae Lee, being responsible for Jin’s promotion to evil…
Next: Bullet Points…